Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

ZVI

ZVI is a polish Jew and a survivor of the holocaust, he came to live in Israel many years ago and he met the Lord Jesus Christ and got saved. For about fifty years after his conversion he went about witnessing to thousands of people of his nation from all walks of life.

The interesting thing about him, and I guess about every Christian believer, is that his testimony lives on and is just as effective for God to touch lives. Time: this morning. I am at home praying before I go to work. For some reason I pray like this: Lord you asked us to pray for workers. Lord the fields abound, but the labourers are few. Lord take my children. I’d love to see them both in the mission field. Send me too. Please Lord send workers for the harvest is plentiful.

Later on the train to work. The train stops, and a young elegant woman gets on board and sits in the seat right next to me. I am reading on. She crosses her legs, and from underneath her long winter coat flashes a bare leg almost to the thigh. People are welcome to look. I continue reading, but the voice of God is at work in my heart. Talk to the woman. Don’t be intimidated by her looks. She does not look like gospel material, I thought. Still the voice would not leave me. Talk to her. She may not get another chance at hearing the gospel. Okay Lord. I have learnt a long time ago to obey that still small voice.

I put my book down and reached inside my purse for a tract. Now Lord, you know I always obey when you ask me to talk to strangers, but I need help with this one. You got to help me here. Where do I begin. What shall I say. On my mind was something about the need to cover herself. I am still wondering how and where to begin the conversation when SHE talks to me first. For a second I am dumbfounded. “My father has that book", she said with ease and simplicity. I was almost speechless. I don’t know what I answered at first. Oh, I said. Yes, she said, I am Israeli (The book has a flag of Israel on the cover). My father read this book, she continued. He loved it. Have you read it too, I queried. We were now talking. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, I asked.

Of course, she believed in a power out there but she had lost her faith when God took her sister away. She had died of cancer. I shot a quick and silent prayer for guidance. I assured her that God knows all about her sister, but that she needed to look after herself. You sound like the mother was the familiar reply. Soon I pulled out my personal worker’s New Testament and flipping through the pages I read verses to her from Galatians, Ephesians, Romans, John, etc. Good deeds do not save you. The law damns you. Jesus saves. Fresh on my mind was the verse from Joel where Brian preached last night. Joel 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision; for the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision.

We conversed for almost twenty minutes. I noticed that several passengers were listening (it is always the case) and watching as I flipped through the pages of The Book. Of course, some looked on with ridicule. One man sitting behind us leaned backwards and stretched his neck as far as he could in order to get a better hearing. I raised my voice. I had a captive audience. Bless God for the liberty we have in this country. By the time we reached downtown, Nathalie had two tracts in her purse. As she thanked me for the “lecture” and before we parted I pressed her for a decision. Demons believe and tremble (James 2:19). I also encouraged her to read the book in her father’s library. I don’t know if she’ll ever get saved. This was no coincidence. Think of it. What is the probability that a total stranger, an Israelite, should sit right next to me and recognize The Best of Zvi, a book which I started reading that very morning. As for me I know one thing. God answered my prayer about sending a labourer to work. The seed was sown. I wait for the harvest.

Were Svi to hear this story he would be happy in his grave to learn that his testimony lives on and God still uses him (or his memory) to reach his people.

3 Comments:

  1. Matthew Celestine said...
    An edifying story, thanks.

    God Bless
    Consecrated said...
    Glad to hear that.
    I edited it a bit and added a couple of thoughts. I am amazed at how quickly God answers prayer when it concerns spreading the gospel.
    Revelation 2:17 said...
    Praise God! praise God

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds