Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

The blessings of a messed up bridal shower

Last night I went to a bridal shower to which a lady from another church had invited me seeing I was a friend of the bride-to-be. Time: 6pm at some restaurant in an unfamiliar town, so I drove in to work, something which I don't normally do. Incidentally a lady at the office asked me if we were going somewhere filthy after dinner. We are christians, I briskly replied. We don't do things like the faithless people do. I may have touched a nerve there, but my answer was too quick and spontanous. Anyway back to my story. At around 6:45 pm soon after all the ladies had arrived including the bride, I hear my name being called to go to the front desk. As I moved toward the public telephone booth I wondered who was calling me. Centrainly not my daughter who had just called me on my cell. As it turned out another lady, the only other person from my home church, a very pregnant lady had run into car problems. It was rainy. Her car had broken down. She had no cell phone on her. She could not reach her husband. She was crying on the phone but she had managed to walk in the rain and catch a bus to the closest coffee shop where she thought of calling the restaurant and paging me. I calmed her down and told her I was on my way to get her. Soon after she was calmly seated at the table with the car left behind. The tire had taken a bad blow and the car was stranded near a truck parking lot.

Mercifully the lady whose shower it was had an extended service warranty with the CAA, and once they heard the story they were willing to help out. Leaving all the guests behind, some twenty ladies, the three of us (bride-to-be, my pregnant friend and I) drove back to the car to meet up with the CAA serviceman, the car tire was soon replaced, and again we were all happily seated to the dinner table. It was close to 9.00pm by now. So we were the last three to eat. The waiters were happy to bring our food back again. They had kept our orders on hold until we returned.

Now here's what I have to say, under normal circumstances, and had it been a non-christian lady whose shower it was, the guest of honour would have felt that her bridal shower was ruined. Instead all evening long the sweet christian lady was praising the Lord that the CAA had accepted to service the car of her very pregnant friend. When I picked my friend up she had been sobbing wondering why all this had happened to her, but by the time we drove back home, all the way keeping her in my rear mirror view, she was tearfully rejoicing and praising God for his goodness through it all.

As for me, the day gave me a chance to give a tract to the parking lot guy in the morning, to the CAA man in the evening, and to the Italian man who had waited on us at the dinner table. Who knows, it might have been God's will to reach these men after all. I too came home at night rejoicing and praising God for having mercifully seen us through this ordeal while giving me three different opportunities to reach three different men with the word of God yesterday, all because of a memorable bridal shower. It was not messed up after all.

2 Comments:

  1. Mike said...
    "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (Jn 13:35) This verse came up to me while reading the story. Yes, love! What you gave to those 3 guys were not just tracts, but also a wonderful witness, the witness of LOVE.
    Nah, the bridal shower was far from being messed up. : )
    Revelation 2:17 said...
    such are the stories of love and faith in Jesus that distend the heart. God bless you

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds