Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Monday, April 10, 2006

My Jewish neighbour

I have been living in my present quarters for over six years. One of my neighbours is a classy Jewish lady whom I had not seen in a very long time because for all I know she was out west tending to her daughter who was diagnosed with cancer.

Yesterday morning I was going through my church notebook. At the back I try to keep a list of all the people I witness to, and I noticed that I had not made an new entry in quite some time. It is true that I pass tracts left right and centre, but I had not done a one-on-one witnessing (outside the street and metro stations) in a long time. I lamented my poverty and asked the Lord to rekindle the witnessing fire in me again.

This morning I woke up with a pain in my back and neck so I decided to stay home. But I was not going to waste time so I drove my daughter's car to the garage and walked home for my morning exercise. I was checking my mail when my neighbour walks in and asks if the morning mail had arrived. We start talking and I asked her about her daughter's health. She had passed away five months ago and the husband has another woman in his life already. I saw pain in the mother's teary eyes. Why did God take my daughter was the usual question. I can never be the same again, she said hopelessly.

I felt I had to speak to her about God. After exchanging a couple of thoughts, I invited her to my apartment for the half hour that she could spare. We talked about the bad things that happen to good people. Some devout Jewish person had said that because the daughter suffered so much, she is undoubtedly in heaven. I cautioned her not to believe that heaven is a factor of our suffering but that we go to heaven because Jesus suffered for our sins.

When tragedy strikes some people turn to God, but others turn away from God. I hoped she would not be bitter with Him even though she doesn't understand why she passed. You are still alive and have three grand children to care for, I repeated.

I pulled out my Bible and started to show her how the Jews had rejected Jesus, and how they cried we have no king but Ceasar, and how the door was opened for the Gentiles, but it does not mean that God had forsaken the Jews. I explained that although a thousand years or two of suffering may seem much, in God's eyes this was equivalent to a day or two compared to the eternity ahead of us.

Then I remembered the book ZVI. She willingly took it and promised to read it (I hope that God would use it, although the Bible is a much better source, but who knows). Thankfully I also found three specialty tracts designed for the Jews. I gave her all and encouraged her to read her Bible. I invited her to believe that Jesus, the Son of God, is the Messiah they were waiting for. That he died to pay the wages for our sins and that he offers eternal life.

Throughout the lady was so surprised to see my love. I told her that as Bible Believing Christian we love her people and the role they played in preserving scriptures, and that through them the Saviour of the world came. I explained how the door was opened for the gentiles when they refused to acknowledge Him. How God said I will move you to jealousy by a nation that is not a nation and so on and so forth. I did not forget to mention that there is still hope for her and how many of her people are beliving on Jesus Christ nowadays.

Before she left my apartment she asked me about my church. She indicated a willingness to come with me on a Sunday morning sometime after she gathers her strength. I promised I will pray for her.

Isn't it wonderful how God works. For almost seven years I had known Miriam but never ventured to witness to her, and today God gave me the perfect opportunity. I can't wait to see her come to church with me.

13 Comments:

  1. Matthew Celestine said...
    That was a really wonderful opportunity.
    Consecrated said...
    Good to see you back on line Matthew. That was a long absence.
    Revelation 2:17 said...
    Those were all good points.
    Tell her Moses was a type of Jesus Christ, given that her name is Miriam.
    Consecrated said...
    I could have told her a lot more but she was in a hurry. I am glad I accomplished this much in the half hour we spent together.
    Redeemed said...
    Amen, how nice!

    That must have made your day. I love that name, Miriam.
    Consecrated said...
    We call her Mimi.
    Redeemed said...
    OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    yes, of course, now I know who you're talking about.

    I called my Miriam (Ohio) Miri, with a French accent, of course!
    Consecrated said...
    and you call me "mami"
    Redeemed said...
    That's right, mami.
    Anonymous said...
    Well...now I know who Redeemed is. Sarah...right?
    Redeemed said...
    Joe, you're funny. You just found out that it's me!!! SURPRISE.
    Consecrated said...
    Consecrated and Redeemed: Seems like we have been an enigma on Pen of Iron.
    Anonymous said...
    ha ha.....that's funny.

    this is kind of off topic....but talking about funny,...I have a few jokes for you. Check out the forum. I'll put them there.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds