Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Instantaneous and Insistent Sanctification

Again, this is from My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers. This is his devotional for February 8:

"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly". 1 Thess. 5:23

When we pray to be sanctified, are we prepared to face the standard of these verses? We take the term sanctification much too lightly. Are we prepared for what sanctification will cost? It will cost an intense narrowing of all our interests on earth, and an immense broadening of all our interests in God. Sanctification means intense concentration on God's point of view. It means every power of body, soul and sprit chained and kept for God's purpose only. Are we prepared for God to do in uns all that He separated us for? And then after His work is done in us, are we prepared to separate ourselves to God even as Jesus did? "For their sakes I sanctify Myself." The reason some of us have not entered into the experience of sanctification is that we have not realized the meaning of sanctification from God's standpoint. Sanctification means being made one with Jesus so that the disposition that ruled Him will rule us. Are we prepared for what that will cost? It will cost everything that is not of God in us.

Are we prepared to be caught up into the swing of this prayer of the apostle Paul's? Are we prepared to say- "Lord, make me as holy as You can make a sinner saved by grace?" Jesus has prayed that we might be one with Him as He is one with the Father. The one and only characteristic of the Holy Ghost in a man is a strong family likeness to Jesus Christ, and freedom from everything that is unlike Him. Are we prepared to set ourselves apart for the Holy Spirit's ministration in us?

I like the entire verse. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. I believe there is sanctification of the spirit, soul and body. I'm not even going to pretend that I understand how to acheive that, other than through earnest prayer and without ceasing.

In Christ,
Sarah

6 Comments:

  1. Consecrated said...
    My initial reaction was when did you have time to post this.
    On a more serious note, I want to thank you for sharing this. Sanctification and consecrated are two primary desires of my heart. It was a good reminder for me today to think about what the Lord wants us to be like. Very thought provoking indeed. We need to be reminded of our ultimate calling to be like him, holy and pure, sanctified and listening to the spirit call more often. Thanks again.
    Redeemed said...
    You're so funny. Well, since you decided to visit dreamland very early last night (9pm), I decided I should check my e-mail and serve the web. Then I decided I should read my "devotional." And then I decided that since I like it so much, I should post it on pen of iron.

    And theeeeennnn, I went to read and pray and theennn, I probably meat you in dreamland somewhere around 11 pm. Hope that was very insigtful to you and that it satisfied you curiosity. :)

    Thanks for your comment though. I knew that of all people, consecrated would definitely enjoy this. Thank you. ;)
    Redeemed said...
    Thanks Matthew. God bless you too.

    Sarah
    Matthew Celestine said...
    Yes, thanks for posting that, Sarah.

    God Bless

    Matthew
    Redeemed said...
    Wow, how did my computer do this. It posted my comment before yours Matthew. Weird indeed.
    Revelation 2:17 said...
    Redeemed,
    maybe you, ehem, prophecied

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds