Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Witnessing opportunities

I find it very interesting how God leads us into witnessing opportunities (if we are willing and have a heart for it). Here's one account in this regard.


Monday night I was late in catching the train, so I ended up standing in the vestibule. Doors open on both sides of the train, but they only open one side at a time depending on the tracks being used. You get to know which side opens at which hours of the day, so there was no problem for me to climb down the sets of steps leading to the one side of the aisle, knowing that this way I'd avoid being pushed around by passengers boarding or leaving the train.

In the beginning there was a french-speaking young man with me in the vestibule, and I was contemplating giving him a tract. But he was busy talking on his cell, and when he was not he had the head-set plugged into his ears. There was no way I could strike a conversation with him and he finally gets replaced by a lady carrying two bags. She drops them down infront of her on the steps, pulls out one huge sandwich and digs into it. At first I had not noticed her, but she did catch my attention when she pulled out yet another big sandwich and dug her teeth into that one too. She must have been very hungry, I thought. Then I started thinking, I wonder if I should give her a tract.

Minutes later, I ask her if she was english-speaking of French speaking. I am English was her reply. Do you mind if I give you something to read, was my immediate reply. Willingly she takes it. What is it, she says? It is Christian literature, I said. I am a Catholic was her reply but I guess it is the same, isn't it? WWeeelll, I said, yes and No. From there on I started telling her about the importance of teaching the Word of God, the Bible, which traditional churches do not do. I explained that we had been brought up to believe that salvation was by works, baptism, fasting etc. but that in reality there is nothing that we can do to save ourselves. It is by faith in the finished work of Jesus on the Cross. Then she said, I don't believe that Jesus is God, but I believe in God. Then you don't believe in the creator of heaven and earth, I replied. Because Jesus is the creator, and he is the real living God. In his love and mercy towards mankind, he took upon himself the body of mortal man, punished sin in the cross, died and rose again to give eternal life to all those who believe in him, because the sinner on the cross was not even baptized and Jesus told him he would be with him that very night in paradise.

She had a couple of questions about the Bible version my church used when I invited her to church, realizing that she lives only minutes away. I told her we were a KJV Bible, and there is no confusion when we read, we all read one version. I went on to explain how Satan in his typical subtle attack since he first addressed Eve, was against the Word of God, and also that all these newer versions have deleted and misquoted key words of God which prove the diety of Christ and the atoning role of the blood. I was pleased when she said to me, No wonder I never knew that Jesus was God. Then I encouraged her to read her Bible and search for the truth from the Source itself and that the Holy Spirit will illuminate her heart and mind for her to understand.

At the mention of the spirit, the girl was frightened. She said in the Caribbean, people deal with lots of spiritism, that is why I don't go to church, she continued. It scares me, she added and that is why I don't go to church. I told her that I agreed and that is why I am a Baptist. I had almost arrived to my train stop. I left another tract with her and encouraged to come by our church someday. She promised she would. Never got her name, but I went home feeling good that I had witnessed to somebody that day. Our Pastor had told us how D.L. Moody had purposed in his heart that he would witness to one soul a day.

Praise God for every witnessing opportunity. It is a very gratifying feeling to know we are in his service.

3 Comments:

  1. Matthew Celestine said...
    These witnessing opportunities that you have had are very encouraging.

    God Bless

    Matthew
    Consecrated said...
    Thanks.
    It is my prayer that by sharing my stories others would be encouraged to witness as well.
    We got nothing to lose, and the whole world to gain.
    Anonymous said...
    Yes, they ARE very encouraging. Every time I start reading this blog, I find these kinds of testimonies. Seems that God is really working up there where you're at.

    Truth is, he is working HERE as well. The problem is, expecially amongst Bible believing Christians, is we think our "knowledge" is what pleases the Lord.

    Not so. The Lord is in the soul saving business. Knowledge is certainly good to have, but if we don't dispense the knowledge we gain, it won't do anybody else any good.

    I think I will write an article along these lines later today :)

    Thank you consecrated for sharing these witnessing opportunities. I don't know if it was you, or not, but I still remember the testimony about being on the street passing out tracts, and that mysterious man gave you just enough money to buy drinks...to the exact cent! That stuck with me, and it reminds me that God will take care of his children that are concerned about the things HE is concerned about. Amen!!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds