Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hymns

I know I've touched on this a little bit before, and this is purely my opinion. I'm not crazy about contemporary christian music, and I have my reasons. Some of it isn't so bad for listening in your car, however I do not like it in churches. I just love those good old hymns. I know there are christian books on hymns, explaining the inspiration behind the song, and I would love to buy one.

Our churh only sings hymns and it is so great. Sometimes, we sing so loud and with such heart, I get shivers all over! The words are so powerful! What got me writing about this is found in the passage of Matthew and also repeated in Mark:

~And when they had sung a hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives. Matt. 26:14

This is right after the Lord's supper. I did a research on my E-Sword, and in my Curden's Corcondance and also found the following verses attributed to hymns:

~Speaking to yourselves in psalms, in hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. Eph 5:19

~Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hyms and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Col 3:16

Ok, yes, I can read. I noticed the "spiritual songs", however, there is nothing spiritual about christian rock music. It's a joke. I was watching tv the other day, and the joke was on us. Making fun of christian rock music and how it sounds just like worldly songs, oh and that was not the first time I heard something like that, when are people going to get that the joke is on us (maybe that's what got me pumping to write this after all). Again, I'm not saying it's all bad. Sometimes in my room, or in the car I'll put some "more contemporary music". I just don't like it in churches.

Again, going back to my e-sword and my concordance search. I found the word "hymn" or "hymns" mentioned 4 times in the Bible. I typed (and I'm serious here), "christian comtemporary music" and found nothing. I tried "christian rock" and came up at a loss.

One more thing, all the verses I found are in the New Testament, so I'm really not all that old fashioned! I rest my case...

Note to all the fellow bloggers and readers:

Thank you for letting me vent a little.

8 Comments:

  1. Matthew Celestine said...
    I cannot stand Contemporary Christian music.

    I much prefer hymns.

    Keep on venting!

    God Bless

    Matthew
    Redeemed said...
    Thanks Matthew.

    That felt great!
    Carey said...
    Amen! Amen! Amen! I love holding an actual hymnal in my hand and singing something with some depth to it, instead of some praise chorus read off a power-point screen. Sarah, I'd love to visit your church sometime. We haven't had a good hymn at my church since the new building came up and we got a new-fangled music director. He's too modern and fancy for me (we now have a choir and orchestra every Sunday morning. I'd love to have just a hymnal and a piano.

    Sorry... I had to vent that.
    Redeemed said...
    Carey, your are free to vent all you want! I'm glad you also love hymns.

    I would love for you to come visit my church. Consider this an invitation! You do not have to worry about your stay, just get a ticket and come on over. I say ticket, because I believe it is a 4 day drive from Texas to here...but yes, it would be an honor to have you over.
    Consecrated said...
    Old fashioned is the name of our church. We use the old fashioned KJV Bible. We preach the old fashioned way of salvation. We sing the old fashioned hymns. We maintain old fashioned moral standards.

    If you are nostaligic and ready to experience the old fashioned way, please feel free to drop in on us. You are most welcome in our midst. A young vibrant and old-fashioned church.

    Sorry, couldn't help a little bit of PR here.
    Matthew Celestine said...
    They recently installed a powerpoint screen at my congregation. I keep getting a stiff neck trying to read it.

    Having hymnals encourages people to get really familiar with the hymns for themselves.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matt
    Redeemed said...
    I don't like the powerpoint system in new churches, especially the ones with the bouncy ball.


    O, and when they put the Bible veses on the powerpoint...people don't bring their Bibles to churches anymore. I am very thankful that our church's foundation stands on the Word of God!
    Anonymous said...
    kathy taylor m.a.: sky.n3t msn.com, Dr. Gandhi, M.D., Write Alexander Micevski and ask him why he hated Jesus so much he stole ministry of dreams to ruin Gods servant, here is google cache: dark dreams 3.0 - teenage dreams widget - ministry of dreams ...dark dreams 3.0 - sweet dreams comment graphics myspace - blvd of broken dreams tabs - teenage dreams widget - dreams unlimited hawaii - a horse named ...pibbg org/eewjb/qieqp/qtb/dreams_63.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages , Alexander Micevski hated me saith the Lord like Laurie Behncke, Duncan Rouleau, dr. rev. jeremy taylor u.u. m.a. ph.d., antonia vladimirova, dee finney, john mark pool, jose alvarez, tom beland, matt brady, wole soyinka, dave karlotski, dana tillusz, quinling harlequin, andy shaw, christina marie sanford, jean patrick charrey, brian, bill of the massive bri, cecil s. pennyton, lawrence forman, david shapiro, katie bazor, janetmck who is janet mcknight, arron shutt, micheru mathys', nick field, jonah weiland, ismail kadare, robert gillen, lawrence forman of funarchy, cluracan of funarchy, janetmck of oxford, john mark pool, cluracan of dreamnova, diana hughey holds ministryofdreams.com, utubia1party, duncan rouleau's children jonah weiland, FunkyGreenJerusalem, FunkyGreenJerusalem is Ben Lipman, sandy_brophy@hotmail.com Dalarsco, sandy brophy, Thomas Rickert, utubiaparty1, sistermoonshine13, joel tao, robert gillen, ginny hill, john e. carey, wesley pruden, furnarchy, krayzier, merc, amfortas, kragamore, jag, khaless, furcadia and katie bazor, larry clow, michael doran, andrew bosch, Darrel Adamson, diana hughey of as one heart photography and artdizon holds ministryofdreams.com, Brandon Adamson, Damadar is cluracan, dchandler, Thomas Rickert the last-fm, wole soyinka, eric lindberg, todd callender, alex ness, kenley darling, , and more, like jeff dee, manda dee, amanda dee, most claim to be christians saith the Lord, im ruining them right now, I will not save any for wanting elijah to fall, and they will loose health, jobs, talks, spouses, more, saith the Lord, for this evil wickedness, which, bob, reached out to most like david shapiro and dee finney, micheru mathys, and they stole his God spoken ministry name like cluracan who is little, mustie and cecil pennyton, when he prayed for them, like john mark pool, and jose alvarez, he signed jose alvarez's guestbook, and jose, alvarez, stole the name ministry of dreams for doing, wicked, pastor, like antonia vladimirova of the, dreams foundation, he signed her guest book, and she stole the name ministry of dreams, when he witnessed to her, she is witch, lost forever, like wole soyinka, and ismail kadare, amanda dee, jeff dee, and duncan rouleau, bob reached out to all, and they all stole the name ministry of dreams, God spoke for this only, and Im ruining them all, watch, saith the Lord, they all release when times get hard.
    do not copy in any way or modify the name Ministry of Dreams, ministryofdreams, or I the Lord will ruin you, it did not exist till prophet prayed, and brought it to the internet, for this work only. I will make you run to remove the name ministry of dreams like all listed here will, saith the Lord,

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds