Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Maybe you guys could help me out

I was reading 1 Kings chapter 13. For the sake of length, I won't post the entire chapter. I'm sorry to have to make you get your bibles and dish out the passage in question.

Now, who is this man of God out of Judah? I take it he's a prophet from the Lord, right?

What I'm not too certain of is what happens in verses 11 to 32.

Here comes another old prophet from Bethel. Why did he go out seeking the man of God? What was his purpose? Why did he lie to him in verse 18? I understand that the man of God disobeys the Lord and therefore must die.

But why does the other prophet from Bethel mourn his death in verse 29? Isn't he the one that provoked and deceived him in disobeying the Lord. Not only does he mourn his death, but also charges his sons to bury him in the same sepulchre and to lay his bones besides the man's bones, verse 31.

I have difficulties at times understanding passages such as this one. Thanks in advance for your help!

7 Comments:

  1. Matthew Celestine said...
    Yes, I too find these historical passages hard to follow.

    The man of God is a prophet.

    The passage does not say why the prophet deceived him, nor why he buries him. I suppose we do not need to know his motives.

    We should not disobey the Lord's commandment, even if an angel tells us to do so. Hence the man of God's disobedience.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew
    Consecrated said...
    I have a brief recollection of this story, and I know why this happened. I must brush up on my memory but I will get back to you on this one once I have more time at hand. okay?
    Redeemed said...
    Thanks, Matthew. I just find it odd why he decieves him, and yet, later mourns his death.

    Ok, thanks concecrated, no rush.
    Anonymous said...
    Alright. Here is a very simple explanation for all of this: (1) You all know that God is control of everything (2) and that everything that is done is not done without a purpose. It does not matter WHY the guy deceived the man of God. There are al lot of things in the Bible that are not explained but must be taken at face value. We, as Christians, must understand that we must follow the word of God ONLY. If someone comes and says that the word of God has changed, or he is different (per se), then we must immediatly compare notes with GOd's word. The man of God listended and followed another that contradicted God's everlasting, unchanging word. That is the problem. Just like the Catholics, or Mormons, or Muslims, that say that God has a new message.....you know? We cannot follow them just because of that!
    Revelation 2:17 said...
    Agreed.
    But this doesn't touch on verses 27-32.
    I'm sure Redeemed is not asking about this from doubt, but rather as a student of the Bible according to 2 Timothy 2:15.
    I've often wonder about this passage myself; I also always keep an eye out for Satan popping up in 13's.
    Going back to not disobeying the Word of the Lord, there's a similar event in
    1 Kings 20:35-36
    Redeemed said...
    Yes, you are right, Joe. Thank you for your thoughts.

    Thanks, Rev...you understand. Interesting, I know numbers in the Bible have hidden meanings.

    I love the books of Samuel, Kings and the Chronicles. The old testament has numerous examples of the danger in disobeying God's word.
    Anonymous said...
    woops....sorry.....
    THanks for correcting me George

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home

Modified by Blogcrowds